Rasler Ramblings

Rasler Ramblings

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

All things are difficult, before they become easy.... right?

Another day.  I have to laugh at myself.  Last time I posted, I don't want to say I bragged, but I was feeling good about my running.  I was feeling accomplished, almost as if I had found the proverbial moving target of running bliss.  Well, today, I write you with shins that hurts, and thighs that feel like jelly.  No need to visualize, just giving you the current state I find myself in.

I have to admit though, while it was formidable (okay that's a little harsh) to run today and yesterday, it wasn't quite impossible.  Running for 1:51 at a 9 minute pace is not easy for me.  But it is easier then when I first started.  Today, while running I was counting down my  time and realized I had 30 seconds left and... got excited... I was thinking "Fantastic! Only 30 seconds left!"  A few weeks ago, adding an extra six seconds only seemed arduous.

I think half the battle of running, perhaps more than half, is just a mental contention. I'm constantly trying to lose myself in my running.  I'm trying to lose my thoughts into some other part of my life.  But there comes a point when the pounding of my feet, the perspiration on my brow and the heavy breathing bring me to a staunchly back to reality.  It's at that point I realize I can't fool my body anymore and I have to find a way to preserve.  I have to find a way to go on, I have to make my body stride for that next step.  Times like these usually happen  in the last seconds of my runs.  It's when my countdown is less then 30 seconds and I have to bear down and finish well.  My goal is not to cheat out of my time.  I have to endure.  It's at these times I have to remember before anything is ever easy, it once was difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment