My eyes are heavy again today. Last night was rough, for no other reason
than the simple fact Bo's sleep alarm went off 5 different times. That alarm,
which pierces the drums of your ears, is capable of also being a dagger that
pierces your heart. Each time the alarm
was set off, I woke up from a dead slumber, confused and terrified. "NO! Not again, not this time" my mind
screamed. Bo ended up sleeping next to
me in his bassinet and with each alarm sound, my arm darting out and reaching quickly
for his chest. Up. Down. He was breathing every time, however, just a
lot lighter.
Sigh. I roll over.
False alarm. But not
a false fear.
Wow, it all comes back.
The images. The thoughts.
The day.
The pain.
And the fear.
And knowing how divine the timing was last time I found Bo,
I don't hesitate to rush to his aide.
But this instance with the
unfriendly accompaniment of a searing pain.
The "what if" pain.
The questions begin and my heart is still racing. Thanks, Jesus, he's okay. But I'm tired and as I my hand rests on my
little Boaz Graham's chest I see again what I saw nearly two weeks ago....
And I discern the fear that wishes to entrap me is near. It's prowling and I hear its roars. It circles my mind and tries to take residence in my heart. I can feel the seeds of fear trying to plant themselves in my DNA of my soul. Trying to find a place that it can nurture and grow. A heart that has recently experienced such searing pain and a mind that has seen life gone seems to be a fertile place for those horrors to germinate. A heart that still is tenderly enduring the fact the love of my life, my high school sweetheart, has cancer.
"Not well."
Reaching for the medicine cabinet.
My head is throbbing. It's a "lack
of sleep" headache. I have had one too
many of those lately. Galen reaches
around, not saying anything more, and just hugs me.
He knows.
We make it to church this morning, but not after the usual
running around, eating breakfast on the way, putting deodorant on IN the van,
yelling at each other for not being prepared, stressed about this next week,
wondering when we'll have time for this and for that. And we drop the boys off
to their respective places of care and walk into our space of worship. Got our seats, put down our Bibles and the
leaders come out full force this morning with their worship playlist.
They came ready to usher in God's presence. A God who is
ready to battle my fears.
It's
a tune I quickly recognize and time evaporates and my soul quiets. My eyes fill
with salted water. I feel the room
darken, yet my burden lighten and I am swept away to a restful place.
"Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name"
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name"
I
can't even utter the words without streams of tears flowing from my eyes.
"The
sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes"
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes"
"You're
rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find"
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find"
As
the song plays on, and I sing from memory, I think about the time when we lost our first
baby to a miscarriage. And I remember
being unexpectedly pregnant with Benaiah a year later. I recall being so afraid
that my fear stole my joy and took the breath out of me. Fear had me contained in a corner. I refused to exude joy for the fear of
experiencing that painful loss, again. Out
of desperation, I told God He could have me, but all I could give Him was my
clinched fists. That's all I had to
offer. I was angry. I was hurt.
My heart was so sensitive to pain. I didn't want to face my fear, but as
life was already growing in me, I had to.
And I as I gave God what I had, I felt Him say, "okay, I can work
with this".
And I
smile. Because as vividly as I remember
that day of surrender, I also recall the day Benaiah was born and I cried. I wept.
Restoration had come to my heart.
It was closure for me. It was
peace.
That
was a day my faith grew and it is a day that I bank on to get through the high
waters of today. The waves called cancer
and uncertainty.
Fear is meant to rob you. To steal your joy. And I ponder how many times have I given fear
the opportunity to do it? To take my
joy? How many times do I continue to feed my fears? How many times do I continue to walk down the
what if road? How often I choose to sit
and dine with thoughts that include losing my husband all too soon? As long as I continue to feed my fears, they
will always remain in my life.
I
remember John 10:10, a verse that has been so readily on my mind this year,
" The thief comes only to steal and
kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the
full." And as long as your fear keeps you paralyzed, it doesn't have to
make your greatest trepidation come true.
And that's the purpose of fear.
To make you believe that life cannot be better. To rob you of peace. To constantly cause you to worry. To never let you rest. To try and back you in a corner and make you
surrender your joy. To suffocate you and
to take your life.
All
these thoughts come to the forefront of my mind at the same moment these
emotions are pouring over my lips and I can barely sing the words of this
song. I am so overcome with emotion and
truth. I felt I was literally crying out
my fears before God. Not in a verbal way, but in a spiritual sense that only
God can understand. And in the midst of worshipping, God steadied my heart. I
felt the reinforcements in my heart go up.
"And I have come to give you life to
the full"... And at this moment, I feel full. I didn't ask for it. But I am engulfed in it. And it's no longer the fear that is taking me
hostage, but it is the peace that is choking out my fear, my worries, and my
anxieties. Yes, my fear is depleting in
the presence of my Almighty God and I feel tranquility. Peace.
I can breathe. I can feel the
thief return my joy to me. This stillness
is forcing my fears to relinquish it's hold on me. I can feel God plucking those seeds of terror
right out of my heart.
My burden is lifting.
And I feel free.
And I am reminded my Jesus is absolutely
worth trusting.
And in the presence of Jesus, my fears don't
stand a chance.
Amen.
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing and for your honesty You are in my daily prayers. Much love from the Richardsons
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sharon <3
Delete