I am more stale than a bag of week old, off brand Doritos. I
am tired, worn and and frankly, kaput. I
am a busted up record. I am every bad cliché about being depressed.
And if you don't want to read anymore, I understand. Truly, I do.
Who wants to preserve and read through it when I don't want to write
about it anymore? And believe me, I have beaten myself
up over it. The self - talk has been
awful.
Dwelling on my past isn't who I am, yet looking ahead is
impossible. I am stuck. I haven't moved
on. I can't move on. For me, a naturally driven person, a do it
yourselfer, an A type personality, has been exchanged passion for paralysis. I feel weak, I feel immobilized and defeated. I don't give grace naturally or easily and
don't worry, I'm giving myself the same medicine I have secretly judged others
with for probably the majority of my life.
And it is bitter.
I have decided that the darkest days don't come in the heat
of battle, but the murkiest of hours come in time long after the wounds were
inflicted. Or 380 day after "it all"
began, if you are one to keep track of numbers and stuff.
And I was moving on this year until I got the news about Bo
a few weeks ago. Hearing the words,
"he needs to be seen right away" and "we will need to schedule
an EEG" was just overwhelming for an already fragile state of mind. The
doctors are suspecting my one year old little boy is having silent seizures.
I can't write the words that went through my mind, as I have
learned discretion is a gift, but I'd be lying if I didn't utter something
along the lines as, "Seriously....................? Again......................? More..................................?" All I can say is before I blinked, I had
tears stream down my face. It's not that God isn't able, it's not the seizures are deadly. It's that it seems its time to walk the road of trial yet again. And so soon.
This isn't me and yet there is nothing I can do about
it. I have tried. I have tried losing myself in TV shows,
eating and shopping. I have tried to
escape my reality, somehow believing I only needed God for the heat of the
battle, not knowing the days, weeks and many months ahead are actually more
scary and the light now shines a little less brightly than before.
I am in my lowest place.
I was here once before after the loss of our first baby. It's an
unwelcome familiarity.
And I. Hate. It.
And I. Hate. It.
And yet, I know in the depths of my heart, buried below the
heavy pains in my soul, I know. His gentle spirit has been relentlessly calling
me back. It's Romans 2:4 coming true, ”Or
do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience,
not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?” That His kindness is what draws back into relationship with my Heavenly Father. That His gentle spirit beckons me to crawl back on my Daddy's lap and just find peace as I rest in His arms.
I know Jesus is worth trusting. I know. Tears steam down my face because I know. He can help
me overcome. I know He is my peace. I know He is my comfort.
I have been doing a lot to deaden myself, and my feelings,
lately. Drowning myself, knowing full well the consequences of my actions. But
the other day, I was doing the dishes, turned on Pandora, and I felt God speak
to me through a song.
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find
[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore
I am the worst version of myself right now and yet I am
reminded that's when God can do His best work.
As the words sank into my heart,
in poetic fashion, the piercing bright light of a winter sun cut through my
cold, dead soul. I felt a renewed sense of hope, even in the midst of it all, I
could see it. I remember the joy of
having light in my life. How it breathes
into me. How it renews and refreshes me.
The light golden hues cut through the frozen colors of winter, like a sharp
knife, it doesn't waste time and cuts
straight to my heart. And I feel how
itchy this skin is and my desire to shed it is real. In Isaiah, there is a chapter
and a few verses that talk about the deliverance of God's people. He says, "Do
not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past. 'Behold,
I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it?
I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.…'"
(43:18-19).
Lord, make me new. Make me completely new.
No comments:
Post a Comment