I think about it
everyday.
Like a lurking beast,
it's always there. Caged, yes, by the
powerful treatments, but nonetheless....
There.
Because of its'
presence, all our decisions have to consider the fact of "its'"
presence.
We take off work.
We alter our meals.
We make appointments.
We consult experts.
We read.
We ask questions.
We pray.
Praying is just about
the only thing that relieves my soul from the anxiety or worry of cancer. And I
sit here, feeling full well the peace of God, but coming to a new
realization. It's a choice. I can choose
God's peace or I can become a captive and live with fear and anxiety.
At home, at work and
just about every place I am content.
However, I find myself so easily frustrated with the medical world. It can be tangibly seen as we start our drive
to the next appointment. The office is
the place where my frustrations reside.
I get frustrated because I have to make choices I don't want to. Not
one choice we've made has been easy. The
road is gray, bleak and full of complications.
It's not easy to discern the "right" treatment path. There is
no correct answer. ONly a best guess or attempt. There is no cure. And even if
there were, and Galen was cured, the shadow of its' tombstone still exists, reminding
you what once what caged beast lived.
And I find this
unacceptable.
I hate it.
I hate
"this".
Cancer, just go away.
We wonder about
expanding our family, God-willing, and will I be left to raise these children
as a single mom at some point? Will this
treatment and care deplete our funds in a way we cannot support our family? Ugh. Why do I keep going there?
I know I keep saying
it, but it's not a one and done deal. I
don't experience peace once and I'm "good to go" for the duration of
this journey. Every day is a
choice. Every moment.
And the battle wages
*every*single* day in my mind. Peace or
fear. Contentment or anxiety. Gratitude or complaining. What will it be
today? What will it be now?
I go to the doctor's
office, often times, more aggravated than not and that's frequently the time I
forget about my "choice".
Despite whatever went wrong (and it has), whatever didn't happen (and it
hasn't) or whatever question remains unanswered (and void they linger), I have
an option. And the act of choosing peace
seems so easily lost, derailed by all the medical jargon, time spent waiting
and unchangeable circumstances.
Yes, I need to
exercise wisdom.
Yes, I need to be
educated about this disease.
Yes, I need to be
proactive and an advocate.
But sometimes I need
to stop thinking it's all on my shoulders, that it's all my responsibility or
that we have complete control of the unknown. And sometimes I just need to
trust God and silence the what if's.
My God is greater than
this disease.
He can heal if He so
chooses.
And His wisdom is far
more supreme than the greatest amount of medical knowledge out there.
At some point, we will
all make our exit off the grand stage of life.
It is a fact. And realistically,
Galen (or I or you) could get hit by a bus tomorrow and what will worry have
brought to my life?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
I cannot add a minute
to my life by allowing worry into my life.
Only it will have robbed me of joy, peace and a heart of gratitude. I have been keeping a journal of thanks recently. A dear friend gifted me the book 1000
Gifts by Ann Voskamp. She challenges
her readers to have a heart of gratitude in spite of your circumstances.
In spite of your 28
year old husband of having cancer.
And I wish I could
insert some amazing spiritual wisdom here.
But I don't know what that is or what it looks like. But I do think I can relate to Paul in the
New Testament when he says this, "I have learned how to be content with
whatever I have. I know how to live on
almost nothing or with everything. I
have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is a full
stomach or empty, with plenty or little" (Philippians 4:11-12). C.S. Lewis even said, "If you think of
this world as a place intended simply for our happiness, you find it quite
intolerable: think of it as a place of training and correction and its not so
bad."
And I hear the theme
so loudly ringing in my mind. I need to
learn. My situation doesn't need to
change. I do. I need to learn to trust,
to be joyful, to accept the peace I am given and be thankful.
So I will choose to
trust, in spite of every thing I don't know.
I will choose peace,
in spite of living out one of my greatest fears.
I will choose to be
thankful, because God is good.
He is so, so good.
Amen.
"It
is well with my soul"
When
peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though
Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
Refrain
My
sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious
thought—
My sin—not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
My sin—not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Refrain
For
me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
Refrain
But,
Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!
Refrain
And
Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so—it is well with my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment