I hate going to visit
Galen's oncologist.
Everyone's nice, but
it's depressing. We are all there
because something is wrong. The silence is stifling. It suffocates me.
This is usually the
time I pull out my iphone and open up the humor section of Pinterest. Ah, yes,
a little laughter.
I read something on
Pinterest that made me laugh. Okay, I
read a LOT of things on Pinterest that make me
laugh. But this one in particular got me
going pretty good. So good that I might
have cackled. That's Galen's term
for immature inability to have the
slightest bit of compassion at another's expense... it might even be the kind
of sneaky laugh that you're mother might smack you for because you laughed when
somebody fell down the steps. Or those really
stupid memes that you snicker at because you're secretly giving an amen to its'
message.
Right? Someone out
there, please agree with me.
And right now I'm
really into the toddler tantrum humor.
Love "pinning" those stories!
Maybe you can understand, you've heard those stories, where the parent
wants to throw away the finger nail clippings and the two year old loses it? It was too funny. Those are the stories I giggle uncontrollably
at.
I cackle.
Anyway, I laugh,
because I can relate. Benaiah has done
similar things which are too lengthy to put into words here. But it's caught me so off guard, that I
laughed. Seriously, you are going to cry
over throwing away toe nail clippings?!
The dog won't move and that's what puts you over the edge?? You dropped
your Grover car on the floor and your day is ruined??
After I have wiped my "tears
of joy" away, that's when it hits
me. Right there in the middle of that
stupid doctor's office.
I'm the same way.
I am this child.
No, I don't cry
because my parents won't buy me the "Chucky" movie. But it gets me thinking. I may not understand
the travesty behind not being allowed to lick the dog, but I do understand the
injustice of my 28 year old husband getting cancer. Or my parents getting a divorce. Or the loss of a baby. Or.....
You fill in the blank.
Whoa. Too deep too fast? This is the way in which
my mind has always worked. Able to be
teleported through the highs and lows of life all by a single light bulb
moment.
And I begin to wonder,
is this how I act towards God? Let me
clarify, this isn't a perfect analogy and I'm not God. I may laugh at the toddler who hoards the toe
nail clippings, who cries because he's not allowed to eat dog poop, but God doesn't laugh at my struggles, fears
or misunderstandings. From the viewpoint
of this child, not being able to hold all his Elmo train cars in his two little
arms is just heartbreaking. It's worth
crying out and calling out, "Mommy". Why? I
don't know exactly. But I bet there is
some sort of fear he senses, something he just doesn't get, some sort of
injustice being played out right before his little eyes. And I'm no longer making light of this
situation, but instead my heart is flooded with compassion.
I have fears.
I have things I don't
understand.
I see injustice happen
right before my eyes.
But I also understand
the illogical thinking behind keeping your brother's toe nail clippings.
And there I am, left
to merge these two very different viewpoints. My mind wages war trying to make sense of
"it all". For a toddler, I get
these same feelings, I understand the confusion, I get the fear, but as a
parent I see the irrational, illogical and, even at times, comical
thinking. That's reason number 489,487,908
why I wouldn't make a good god. God
doesn't laugh at our struggles, even if we don't understand them. His compassion is so great, and so many
times, I can feel Him say, "Kelli, I know you don't understand. Just trust me. I know this hurts. Put your faith in Me. I know you are angry. It's okay, I'll hold you. I know this isn't what you want. Let me provide you peace."
Hebrews 4:15-16 says
it this way, "For we do not have a high priest who
cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all
things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore,
let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive
mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Thankful for a promise like that. I have
someone who understands my sufferings, my confusion and my frustrations.
When I try to look at
my situation through God's eyes, I tend to trust Him just a little bit more. However,
the child in me is left wondering what this elusive, indefinable bigger picture
looks like. Can I be honest? There are times I want to take a look. I want to see. I want God to give me understanding. I tell God if you'd just show me, I'd trust
you. Really I would. But I hear Jesus'
words say, "blessed are those who
have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29b).
And I like that verse,
but I don't. Something about
waiting. Something about having peace
when I don't understand. I don't like
not understanding. I don't like not
knowing. I don't like it. And because I don't like it, it hurts my
feelings. Maybe that's why I cry out, "God, God! Why? Just why?"
So, God, what's the
blessing for not being able to see and yet believing in Your plan? In Your
"bigger picture"?
It's peace. It's hope.
It's a peace in the
midst of my trials.
And it's hope of an
eternity with Jesus. Not hope as in a
"I wish/let me cross my fingers".
It's a hope as an "I know and can't wait".
It's knowing there is
an eternity where there won't be suffering.
No pain.
And no more tears.
(Revelation 21:4)
And this world is too
painful to live without that kind of hope.
Amen? And that hope only comes in
one way, from one person. My heart has
never ached for heaven like it has until recently. The day we got "that" phone call my
heart just ached. Please, don't
misunderstand me, I am very thankful for the life God has given me. I love so many tangible things and people I
am blessed to call family and friends. I
have days that are filled with cup overflowing joy and knee slapping
laughter. But I rejoice that there is
more than this life, which is also tainted with suffering and sometimes nights
filled with tears. I am thankful that
after this life, there will be one where there won't be any cancer diagnosis,
there won't be any hunger, and no more struggles to survive.
What is this life if
this world was all we had?
Thankful it doesn't
have to be if we choose to follow Jesus.



No comments:
Post a Comment