Faith.
Really
what's the purpose for it?
(My bag of mustard seeds)
Having
faith and God's will don't always mesh together. And recently, I have wondered
if they even have a relationship at all. In the Bible, Matthew 17:20 talks about
having the faith of a mustard seed and you can have the ability to move
mountains. If you haven't seen a mustard
seed lately, it's so small and really easy to miss. I know... I KNOW when praying for Galen's
results to come back negative that I had at least the conviction of a mustard
seed. I'll even be so bold to say I had confidence
bigger than that. Maybe the size of a
watermelon. So why didn't it change the outcome? Faith can move mountains, but not change the
diagnosis of cancer?
This
is hard to describe because while I prayed for healing, believing in the power
of God to repair Galen's chromosomes, I can truly rest in His will for allowing
Galen and I to go through cancer.
But
that being said, I wanted to know, why do I need faith if it doesn't change the
outcome? What does it matter really? Why should I have faith? I put myself out there and I don't regret
being as bold as I was because I still believe in my God's power to heal.
But
God why do You put verses in the Bible like Matthew 17:20? Does it ever intersect with Your will? Does a person's faith EVER change the outcome
in our lives?
First
of all, it takes a change of mindset. My
God is not my genie, a servant of mine, or some mystical object with powers
that I own. I don't have three wishes, and
I don't go to Him demanding things be done.
And even if I did, it doesn't get me anywhere anyway. My God is a father and anyone who is a
parent knows that while parents love to bless their children, there are also
necessary times to say no or not yet. As
a child, I remember feeling like my parents were holding out on me. Wasn't that the first sin in this world
anyway? Eve was deceived by the serpent
to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil because she believed God
was holding out on her. What a mess that
caused.
Anyway,
as a parent, I can see the bigger picture of why no is necessary. No, you may not have another bowl of ice
cream. No, you may not stay out as late
as you want. No, you may not go to an
unsupervised party. No seemed like the most unfair statement I'd ever heard and
now as a parent, I am thankful for a lot of the no's I heard as it spared me
from a lot of heartache. And that
temporary pain I experienced was nothing in comparison to a longer pain I
could've felt had my parents allowed me to do whatever I wanted. This isn't a blanket statement. It doesn't fit every situation. However, I do see the parallel and believe
it's relevant to what I am going through right now.
I've
said it already, but being a Christian doesn't exclude you from hardship, in
fact the Bible talks frequently about finding joy in the midst of our pain, our
trials, our disappointments, our bad news, and even our husband's diagnosis of
cancer. Romans 5:3 -4 says, "Not only so, but we
also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces
perseverance;
4 perseverance,
character; and character, hope." I won't speak for you, but this is very
unnatural... we should glory in our sufferings? If you continue on in Romans
you find this verse also, "I consider that our present sufferings
are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. " (8:18
NIV) Our sufferings are not worth
comparing to the glory we will get later?
What?! Not going to lie. That's tough.
My attempt during this whole time is to spend
time in God's Word every day. And as I
read His Word, my heart is not only open to His Word, but I am biting at the bit to
answer my question. Why does faith matter?
And then in my devotional time, I come across the book of Hebrews which talks about men and women whose faith I greatly admire.
35 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. 37 For,
“In just a little while,
he who is coming will come
and will not delay.”
he who is coming will come
and will not delay.”
38 And,
“But my righteous one will live by faith.
And I take no pleasure
in the one who shrinks back.”
And I take no pleasure
in the one who shrinks back.”
39 But
we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who
have faith and are saved. (Hebrews 10:35-39).
Faith isn't about
getting what I want, and it isn't about manipulating the Creator of the
Universe into performing my desires. Faith
is believing in something greater than my circumstances. Faith is saying there is hope even in the
midst of my husband's cancer. Faith is
saying there is something greater than my biggest fear. And if I have to choose between fear and
faith, I'd rather CHOOSE faith. And I
chose faith because of the blessing that it comes with.
I
read verses like Proverbs 16:20b where it says, "blessed is he who trusts
in the LORD."
So
what is the blessing? I'm guilty of
wanting to call healing my blessing, when actually God may call blessing by the
name of peace. I am thankful for the tranquility
that has filled my heart in these past few days and weeks. I have an inner calm that I cannot explain. It doesn't mean I like what we are going
through, but I do not spend my nights playing the "what if"
game. I could go there, but I don't,
because of the peace in my heart.
"And
the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).
You
have my permission to call me a bold faced liar if you thought I was holding
this together on my own. Because I am
not. A couple of weeks ago, my heart was
so heavy, so burdened and so overwhelmed.
The day after we found out about Galen's cancer diagnosis, I have no
better way to describe how I felt other than saying I felt like someone had run
me over with a truck. I wept and I wept
some more. I finally turned on some
worship music. I didn't even have the strength to sing the words, but the
powerful truths swept over me and the tears stopped. For the entirety of the day, I had to have
the music on because when I didn't, the tears and the heaviness returned. It was a reminder that when I keep my eyes
on Jesus, I won't be overwhelmed by the waves of worry and fear that tries to
consume me. John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal
and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." The fear is very real, but my God is greater
than any fear I may face.
So
faith gives me peace, but there is also this part of me that says if I believe
God raised Jesus from the dead, then why can't He heal my husband of this
cancer? Well, He can. Will He? I honestly don't know.
But
I feel called to continue to pray, believing that He will restore my husband's
body. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote
about my call to pursue my fast even after we got confirmation that the biopsy
was positive for chronic leukemia. After those ten days, and "that phone
call" God didn't release me from fasting. I felt God ask me to change it
in a couple of ways. One alteration was
for me to get up every morning to spend time in God's Word and to spend time in
prayer. While I continue to pray for
Galen's healing and remind God that He has the power to do it, I don't believe
that's my purpose for spending time with Him.
Mark Batterson, author of The Circlemaker, wrote it this way,
"I learned we shouldn't seek answers as much as we seek God. We get over
anxious. We try to microwave our own answers instead of trusting God's
timing... If you seek answers, you won't find them, but if you seek God the
answers will find you."
I
don't know if God will choose to heal my husband. But He can.
So in the meantime, while I wait, for however long He chooses, I will
ask God to change me to be more like Him.
As I seek His face, may He change my heart.
And
lastly, what if this miracle is 100 days in the making? Forty years in the making? I can't give up now. There is too much invested. And like I said before, I'm going all in on
Jesus because my return on investment, whether here on earth or when I get to
heaven, is going to be more than I could fathom.
"Blessed
is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that
person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who
love him." (James 1:12)
And I'm banking on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment